Thursday, December 22, 2011

Merry Christmas, Happy New Year, December Recap, etc, etc!

I’ve come to the realization, I am a once a month blogger…and my posts will reflect such. So here goes everything I’ve wanted to post about over the last month! (Although I may actually try and do it twice this month:)

The last couple months have been challenging. There have been a lot of changes going on. I’ve said it before and will continue to say it…thank God for family and friends; we would never survive without them! Needless to say, because of all of this, the holiday season was the last thing on our minds. I was going through the motions to start to prepare but just wasn’t feeling it. Then I heard news about a lady at my work, who I see every day, a wonderful person, whose challenges and struggles were far greater than anything we were experiencing. I can honestly say it snapped me out of my self-pity. I also decided something needed to be done for her and her family and organized a plan to make it happen and it did. You hear stories of peoples struggles all the time that make you really think and appreciate what you have (health, family, job, etc) but I think having it right in front of me, with such a warm person, really affected me. Shortly after that, Charlie and I both pulled out of our funk and got into the spirit! The events leading up to Christmas soon piled on, and the kids loved every second of it (we did too).

For the first year, we braved the crowds and went to Elf Night at Dorothy B Oven Park in Tallahassee. The park is covered in an enormous amount of lights, there are characters dressed up as elves and every winter/Christmas character you can think of, and Santa is there too, of course! Layla hugged every character she came in contact with, while Connor and Brandon wanted nothing to do with them...to be expected! :)

Photobucket

Photobucket
Layla being "Layla." Entertaining and comical as always!!


Then we had Connor's first ever Christmas program at school (they also had a birthday party for Jesus, which is apparently just adorable). He did an amazing job! It was about 20 min long. He sang most of the songs, did the hand movements and looked just adorable up there on stage. Next year Sister will be right there with him...how fun will that be! She knew a couple songs and was loudly singing along in the audience.



All the grandparents came out, to include my Nana (Connor and Layla's great grandma).
We went over to Aunt Chrissy's house with Sarah, Brandon, my Mom and Great Grandma for a holiday cookie baking/decorating extravaganza. Aunt Chrissy got them all adorable aprons, but my 2 refused to wear them...maybe next year!
Photobucket
Nana Kat and Layla rolling out dough. :)
Great Grandma and her 3 crazy wonderful Great Grandkids!

Listening to Nana Kat read "The Gingerbread Man" story!

Next came Christmas Eve!!!! Oh, the excitement! Charlie and I started 3 years ago having my parents, his parents and our siblings over on Christmas Eve night for dinner and celebration. Its a tradition that has stuck and now become a favorite part of the holiday season for all involved. We go all out and it's our turn to treat our parents (and siblings) for all they do for us throughout the year. Menu is different each year. Appetizers included: wild mushroom tarts in puffed pastry, cranberry and goat cheese log and lots of wine. Dinner is always pasta. This year: pesto and mozzarella stuffed meatballs over whole wheat penne with salad and bread. Desert was a chocolate hazelnut (hazelnuts imported from Italy) pie with fresh cinnamon whipped cream (a Giada recipe...for those who don't know...I'm obsessed with Giada!!:). Oh and lots more wine. It was a perfect night! (PS- as you will see below, Layla slowly lost and changed her clothes as the night went on! Gotta love her!)

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket
The kids playing "candles" with Uncle Topher. They could have done this all night had we let them!



Photobucket
The whole fam!!
  After the clean-up and chaos of Christmas Eve dinner was over, we set out cookies, milk and carrots for Santa and his reindeer. First year to do this. Connor wanted to make sure there was a carrot for each reindeer and thought Santa would want 6 (to be exact) cookies. :)

Photobucket


Then Santa(s) went to work, got some sleep and woke up to happy, happy little children! This Christmas morning was the best to-date. The kids were so excited, old enough to really get into it and even excited for each other (without stealing each others toys and having major meltdowns...yes, that happened last year!). Although Layla didnt have much interest in opening her wrapped presents, Brother gladly did it for her, sweetly holding up each present and telling her what each was. So, so sweet. She also got so distracted by the rice krispie treat in her stocking she lost interest in all toys at one point. She even went over and finished off the last of the milk (that had been out for over 10 hrs) that Santa didnt drink, to wash down her rice krispie treat. Hilarious!!

Photobucket

Photobucket
Connor holding up EVERY gift asking me to take a pic and playing Santa to sissy. My sweet boy!


Photobucket
Layla, enjoying her "treat", reading with Daddy a new favorite book and checking out the empty Santa plate. :)


Photobucket
Layla immediatly upon waking up, put on the Santa hat (she did it all on her own) and her brand new rain boots!! Could it get any cuter!?!
 Once morning fun was over, we showered up and headed over to The Starnes/Adams family gathering at Great Grandmama Starnes house. I think I was so beat and just ready to relax, I took no pics the rest of the day! We had a very delayed gathering with my side of the family (we are revising things for next year and years to come). But we got together the Friday after Christmas at Aunt Chrissy's house and had a wonderful, relaxing time!!


Now onto the NEW YEAR!!! Charlie and I were and are so ready for 2012. We (as I said above) know we are so blessed in so many ways, but we are ready to put the challenges of 2011 behind us and also know that 2012 will bring new and wonderful changes. It already has! I will leave you with a few pics of the final days of 2011 that I just love! Wishing you all a wonderful and blessed 2012!!




















No comments:

Post a Comment